Every year,Yale associate librarian Fred Shapiro, lecturer at the Law School and the editor of the Yale Book of Quotations, releases his ten best quotes of the year. Tied for first place are “I’m not a witch,” O’Donnell’s unfortunate catchphrase in a TV ad for her campaign, and “I want my life back,” BP CEO Tony Hayward’s complaint after being bashed for Gulf Coast oil spill.
Shapiro has compiled his list every year since 2006, when the Yale Book of Quotations was first published. He chooses quotes that are indicative of the mood of the country or that have become famous in the media, he told the Associated Press. Several are from politicians, including Nancy Pelosi, Gordon Brown, and Sarah Palin (via Twitter). The quotes will eventually appear in the next edition of the Yale Book of Quotations.
Here’s his list, according to The Associated Press:
1. (TIE) “I’m not a witch.” Christine O’Donnell, television advertisement, Oct. 4.
1. (TIE) “I’d like my life back.” Tony Hayward, comment to reporters, May 30.
take our poll - story continues below
3. “If you touch my junk, I’m gonna have you arrested.” airline passenger John Tyner, remark to Transportation Security Administration worker at San Diego airport, Nov. 13, 2010
4. “Don’t retreat. Instead — reload!” Sarah Palin, Tweet, March 23.
5. “Chi! Chi! Chi! Le! Le! Le! Los mineros de Chile!” Chant at Chilean mine rescue, Oct. 13.
6. “I hope that’s not where we’re going, but you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies. They’re saying: My goodness, what can we do to turn this country around?” Sharron Angle, radio interview in January.
7. “We have to pass the (health care) bill so you can find out what is in it.” Nancy Pelosi, speech to National Association of Counties, March 9.
8. “I’m going to take my talents to South Beach.” LeBron James, television broadcast, July 8.
9. “You’re telling me that the separation of church and state is found in the First Amendment?” Christine O’Donnell, Delaware senatorial debate, Oct. 19. (The Associated Press reported the quote: “So you’re telling me that the separation of church and state, the phrase ‘separation of church and state,’ is in the First Amendment?”)
10. “They should never have put me with that woman. … She was just a sort of bigoted woman who said she used to be Labour.” Gordon Brown, comments about a voter he met while campaigning for British general election, Apr. 28.
Do you have quotes that you believe should be on this list? Let us know. Leave it in the comments section.