It’s getting to the point where there is nothing horrible in the history of the Earth that Ben Carson doesn’t make an inappropriate reference to–the sick part his basic positions are correct but the idiotic analogies kill his arguments.
Here are a few examples of Carson’s hyperbolic silliness.
- “Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery” 2013 Values Voter Summit.
- Obamacare is worse than the September 11, 2011 attacks–Interview with the Daily Beast 2014
- Hitler’s successes in Europe would have been “greatly diminished” if Jews had more guns. “I’m telling you there is a reason these dictatorial people take the guns first,” he added.-October 2015 Interview with Wolf Blitzer
- I mean, [we are] very much like Nazi Germany. And I know you’re not supposed to say ‘Nazi Germany,’ but I don’t care about political correctness. You know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate the population. We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe. And it’s because of the PC police, it’s because of politicians, it’s because of news. All of these things are combining to stifle people’s conversation. The reason that is so horrible is because the only way you have harmony and reach a consensus is by talking. But if, in fact, people are afraid to talk, you never reach consensus. And instead you grow further and further apart. And that’s exactly what’s happening, creating a horrible schism that will destroy our nation. March 2014 in response to a question by Fox News’ Mallory Factor.
- Abortion is like Slavery: “During slavery – and I know that’s one of those words you’re not supposed to say, but I’m saying it – during slavery, a lot of the slave owners thought that they had the right to do whatever they wanted to the slave,” Carson said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday 10/25/15.
I happen to agree with Carson on the basic issues, Pro-Life, anti-Obamacare, that the Second Amendment was passed to ensure that Americans would be able to protect their freedom against a tyrant, and that progressivism is eroding our freedoms. But the analogies are totally inappropriate.
Thankfully there was one Holocaust, there was one American Slavery, there was one Nazi Germany and there was one 9/11/01. Carson’s analogies diminish the horrors of each of those human tragedies. This has nothing to do with PC it’s all about winning votes instead of ridicule.
Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?
I wonder if Carson knows that there were Jews that had guns and tried to protect themselves unsuccessfully, like in the Warsaw ghetto for example. It is incomprehensible to compare Obamacare to an invasion of the U.S. that killed almost 3,000 innocents. America’s freedoms have been reduced during the Obama administration, however this is still the most free nation in the world and nothing close to Nazi Germany. Abortion and slavery is like apples and oranges it just a stupid analogy, a better one would be to say that Abortion has killed between 50-60 million babies.
What’s next will he compare something to the worst TV special ever (the Star Wars Holiday Special)? Or perhaps use the movie Ishtar, or the TV show My Mother the Car for a comparison.
Dr. Carson is a brilliant man but if he wants to gain votes he needs to think through his analogies before he makes them, otherwise it will be hard to take him seriously.