In Somalia, officials said international military forces carried out a pre-dawn strike Saturday against foreign fighters in the town of Barawe. Officials said the strike was aimed at “high-profile” targets.
A resident of Barawe — a seaside town 240 kilometers (150 miles) south of Mogadishu — said by telephone that heavy gunfire woke up residents before dawn prayers. An al-Shabab fighter who gave his name as Abu Mohamed said “foreign” soldiers attacked a house, prompting militants to rush to the scene to capture a soldier. Mohamed said that effort was not successful.
A Somali intelligence official said the targets of the raid were “high-profile” foreigners in the house. The intelligence official also said the strike was carried out by an international military. A second intelligence official also confirmed the attack. Both insisted on anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.
There are confusing reports regard the results of the raid.
The New York Times and NBC both reported that the al-Shabab leader had been captured in Somalia, but the Times then said he was believed to have been killed in a pre-dawn firefight – and that the US troops were forced to withdraw before that could be confirmed.
However, the Associated Press news agency quoted unnamed sources as saying that the Seals failed to find the intended target.
As the evening continues the story will sort out. But the question will remain why did the President send the US military to take revenge for a terrorist action that took place in Nairobi at a venue that wasn’t owned by Americans?
In related news the only person arrested in the terrorist attack on the US mission in Benghazi and the deaths of four American heroes what the guy who’s anti-Muslim video had nothing to do with the attack.