Perhaps the only mainstream media reporter investigating and reporting about growing scandal regarding the attack on the US Mission in Benghazi, Libya is ABC’s Jake Tapper. Today Tapper reported an incredible find—an email showing the State Department rejecting additional security for our staff in Libya.
ABC News has obtained an internal State Department email from May 3, 2012, indicating that the State Department denied a request from the security team at the Embassy of Libya to retain a DC-3 airplane in the country to better conduct their duties.
In the letter Miki Rankin informs ambassador Stevens, John C and a many others whose names were redacted, that:
Undersecretary of State for Management Patrick Kennedy “has determined that support for Embassy Tripoli using the DC-3 will be terminated immediately. Post’s request to continue use of the plane in support of the SST was considered. However, it was decided that, if needed, NEA will charter a special flight for their departure.
An “SST” is a security support team, Special Forces troops assigned to protect State Department officials (like Ambassadors and embassy staffs). This team was assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.
The real question is did the State Department know about the previous attacks on our Benghazi Mission, and growing tension against Americans in Libya? And if they did know why was the plane rejected? If they didn’t why not? Based on other recent finds there were many people who knew
Earlier this week, the chair of the House Oversight Committee, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and another member of the committee wrote to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton listing 13 incidents leading up to the attack, ranging from IED and RPG attacks to a “posting on a pro-Gaddafi Facebook page” publicizing early morning runs taken by the late Ambassador Stevens and his security detail around Tripoli
“Was State Department headquarters in Washington aware of all the above incidents?” they asked Secretary Clinton, requesting written responses by Oct. 8. “If not, why not? If so, what measures did the State Department take to match the level of security provided to the U.S. Mission in Libya to the level of threat?
…Shown the email uncovered by ABC News, a spokesman for the committee said the “document is consistent with what the Oversight Committee has been told by individuals who worked in Libya. Ambassador Stevens and the diplomatic mission in Libya made multiple security related requests that were turned down by Washington based officials. Security related transportation has been identified as one of the particular items where embassy personnel did not receive the support they sought.”
The U.S. government official who provided the email to ABC News – and wanted to remain anonymous because of the sensitivity of the matter – described the small DC-3 plane as an asset for a security team to more freely and safely move throughout the country, and to more easily transport arms and other security equipment. In short, having the plane allowed the security team to better perform its duties, the official said.
This report by Tapper is important because it adds to the paper trail showing the Obama Administration got complacent in its handling of security of our people overseas and the War On Terror in general.
Remember, just a few days before the attack was the DNC where almost every speaker as well as the president himself talked about how Barack Obama practically killed Bin Laden with his own hands and the war on terror being essentially over. The “They Attacked in Benghazi because of the anti-Muslim movie trailer on you tube), was a very convenient tool for Obama because if he was honest and said it was terrorism, it would have made his pitch to the people the week before—a lie. So instead he lied about the attack. But thanks to reporters such as Jake Tapper..the real story story may actually come out.