The Anti-Defamation League started with good intentions,
The Anti-Defamation League was founded in 1913 “to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.” Now the nation’s premier civil rights/human relations agency, ADL fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals and protects civil rights for all.
But in more recent years it has become a tool of the Liberal/Progressive agenda of its leader Abe Foxman.
The focus of Foxman’s latest attack, is radio legend, Rush Limbaugh. Yesterday the ADL issued this press release:
New York, NY, January 21, 2010 The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) said Rush Limbaugh reached a new low with “borderline anti-Semitic comments” on his radio show, in which he raised the possibility that liberal Jews were having “buyer’s remorse” with President Obama in light of the outcome of the Senate election in Massachusetts.
Limbaugh told his listeners: “To some people, banker is a code word for Jewish; and guess who Obama is assaulting? He’s assaulting bankers. He’s assaulting money people. And a lot of those people on Wall Street are Jewish. So I wonder if there’s if there’s starting to be some buyer’s remorse there.”
Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:
Rush Limbaugh reached a new low with his borderline anti-Semitic comments about Jews as bankers, their supposed influence on Wall Street, and how they vote.
Limbaugh’s references to Jews and money in a discussion of Massachusetts politics were offensive and inappropriate. While the age-old stereotype about Jews and money has a long and sordid history, it also remains one of the main pillars of anti-Semitism and is widely accepted by many Americans. His notion that Jews vote based on their religion, rather than on their interests as Americans, plays into the hands of anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists.
When he comes to understand why his words were so offensive and unacceptable, Limbaugh should apologize.
Now what Rush really said was:
Look, folks, there are a lot of people who when you say “banker,” people think “Jewish.” People who have prejudice is the best way to put it. They have a little prejudice about them. So for some people, “banker” is code word for “Jewish,” and guess who Obama’s assaulting? He’s assaulting bankers. He’s assaulting money people, and a lot of those people on Wall Street are Jewish. So I wonder if there’s starting to be some buyer’s remorse there.
Foxman’s press release left out the first two lines above, the ones in bold. Limbaugh made it clear that bigots, prejudiced people think “bankers” is a code word Jews. As a long-time listener of the show, and someone who tends to wear his “yarmulke on his sleeve,” I have never heard Limbaugh utter something that caused me to think he was a Jew-hater.
Foxman was conveniently skewing the truth and trying to score political points, if Rush was a confidant of Barack Obama, Abe would have been silent or would have included the first two lines that explained what he really meant. What Foxman did was a deliberate case of what Jews call “Loshen Hara” using words, albeit true, in a way meant to do harm.
That same Abe Foxman-run ADL never attacked President Obama for appointing Samantha Power to his National Security Team. Power likes to use the anti-Semitic stereotype “Israel Lobby” as a code word for her false impression that Jews control American foreign policy. Nor has Foxman ever complained about the frequent anti-Semitism on the progressive website the Daily Kos.
Truth be told, Foxman’s attack on Rush Limbaugh is part of the over-all progressive agenda of Abe’s Anti-Defamation League. To prove the point here is a sample some of the ADL’s position papers supporting the progressive agenda:
- Amnesty for illegal immigrants:
- ADL Welcomes Bipartisan Agreement On Immigration Reform
- Senator Kennedy Issues Call For Meaningful Immigration Reform
- L.A. Area Organizations Issue Declaration For Human Rights For Immigrants
- Partial Birth Abortion
- Terrorist Fighter Geert Wilders
- Use of Holocaust in Health Care Debate. While I agree with the ADL that the use of Holocaust imagery in any political debate is wrong, it’s strange that the ADL bashes it now and was totally silent when the progressives were Calling Bush and Cheney Hitler and/or Nazi’s.
The ADL also trashed the Tea Party Movement. Calling it part of the “New Rage in America”. A quick read of this White Paper show the group has totally abandoned its mission to fight anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, and is using its donated tax-free funds to concentrate on a political agenda, the President’s mission to silence all dissent to his policy.
Tea Parties: At any rally attended by hundreds of thousands of people there are a few wackos. There were some people at the Tea Parties who held signs that were inappropriate and even offensive. These people were few and far between. The overwhelming majority of the people at the rallies were average folks upset at too much government spending and taxation. In the section about Tea Parties, the ADL seeks to minimalize the movement by branding the protesters as people misusing the Holocaust, Nazi imagery or White Supremacists.
- Created by Fox News or other conservative outlets? Playing into the “AstroTurf propaganda pushed by the Democrats:
The Tea Party movement is made up of individuals and groups, at the grass-roots level and from established conservative organizations, who plan and attend rallies around the country to express their anger at the government. Some conservative media outlets, such as the FOX News Network, have also played a role in promoting Tea Parties.
- The President is a Socialist or even worse. Again the Nazi illusions are wrong. But overall they are refuting the claims with out any facts. The President ran as a socialist in 1996 in Illinois, and his public call for redistributing wealth is a basic tenet of Socialism, he has appointed many self declared Marxists to his administration… what would they call it? When the President abrogated the rights of the primary lenders of Chrysler and GM to give to the Union, the president broke the constitution.
While most people attending Tea Party events claim they harbor no extreme views, many of the ideas they promote fall outside the mainstream, especially the more conspiratorial ones. Angry protesters have frequently made claims ranging from proclaiming Obama’s “socialist” intentions to making explicit Nazi comparisons to suggesting that the President is defying or even subverting the Constitution.
- Then they return to the right wing crazy argument. Notice how the describe the “over the top incidents as one lady or one report? That’s because they were few and far between but you wouldn’t know it based on their report.
.…During the April 15 protests, signs depicting President Obama as Hitler began to appear as some protesters equated his bailout plan with socialism or Nazism. Some speakers claimed that Obama was intent on taking away civil liberties by destroying the Constitution or the American way of life. According to one report on a rally in Beacon, South Carolina, various speakers talked about “taking back the nation.” A local Republican Party chairwoman at the event described participants as “people standing up for their Constitution…They’re ready to fight for their country. Socialism is being pushed and we don’t want any part of it.” At a rally in Madison, Wisconsin, one woman reportedly even had a sign comparing President Obama to the anti-Christ.
- According to the ADL the tea party movement morphed into a conspiracy following, group of crazies.They use the example that a few protesters were “birthers.” They know very well that the “birther” movement is outside the mainstream of the tea party movement and also has been discredited by most conservatives. Maybe they should mention that the POTUS appointed Van Jones, a 9/11 truther. Using the same ADL measuring stick, that would make the entire Obama Administration a bunch of truthers.
At later events, demonization of President Obama became more common and began to morph into more anti-government conspiratorial thinking. On July 4, numerous rallies once more were staged across the country. At one rally in Ventura, California, a common theme again emerged. A man who later posted his video to YouTube said, “We want our America back which is being stolen by Barack Obama.” He later talked about Obama bringing socialism to the country. People also held up signs at the rally asking for Obama’s birth certificate. Obama’s alleged lack of a U.S. birth certificate [See The ‘Birther’ Movement] became another piece of the “proof” that he was a usurper intent on destroying America’s freedom.
Under Abe Foxman, the ADL ignores its noble mission and spends its time and donated funds to support the Progressive Movement in this country. Bashing Rush Limbaugh is just part of that agenda. Perhaps it should spend a little more of its time on its primary mission, stopping REAL anti-Semitism in the world. There are so many of those, but by falsely pinning the label on people who do not deserve it, Abe Foxman and his crew cheapen the effect of the charge when it is made against a real Jew-hater.