If this is how Senator Obama acts when the is trying to get the SUPPORT of Israels friends, just imagine what he will do when he doesn’t need them anymore. Obama has spent much of the early part of this week giving the already suspicious Jewish community additional reasons to be suspicious.On Sunday, not only did he officially back track from his united Jerusalem promise at AIPAC, but he substituted it with something much worse:
“I think the Clinton formulation provides a starting point for discussions between the parties.”
For those of you who do not remember “the Clinton Formulation” it calls for the DIVISION of Jerusalem, Israeli sovereignty over the Western Wall and Palestinian sovereignty over everything behind and Under the Wall and the Temple Mount. Man that isn’t even CLOSE to what he said at AIPAC. (For more on this See Rick Rickman’s brilliant essay in today’s Washington Times)
Just as damning as his call for Palestinian sovereignty over Judaism’s holiest site is the Senator’s upcoming trip to Israel. You can tell a lot about a person by his traveling partners, well the Senator is bringing Senator Chuck Hagel, probably the most Anti-Israel person in the senate. For those of you not familiar with Hagel’s record, don’t believe me, believe The National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC), who last year cited clear examples of Sen. Hagel’s lousy record on Israel.
- In August 2006, Hagel was one of only 12 senators who refused to write the EU asking them to declare Hezbollah a terrorist organization.
- In December 2005, Hagel was one of only 27 who refused to sign a letter to President Bush to pressure the Palestinian Authority to ban terrorist groups from participating in Palestinian legislative elections.
- In June 2004, Hagel refused to sign a letter urging President Bush to highlight Iran’s nuclear program at the G-8 summit.
- In November 2001, Hagel was one of only 11 senators who refused to sign a letter urging President Bush not to meet with the late Yassir Arafat until his forces ended the violence against Israel.
- In October 2000, Hagel was one of only four senators who refused to sign a Senate letter in support of Israel.
I don’t want to leave you with the impression that everyone hates Hagel’s record on Israel. The same NJDC did cite one group that supported Hagel’s Middle East efforts–CAIR:
take our poll - story continues below
“Potential presidential candidates for 2008, like Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Joe Biden and Newt Gingrich, were falling all over themselves to express their support for Israel. The only exception to that rule was Senator Chuck Hagel …” [Council on American-Islamic Relations, 8/28/06]
Folks, think about this long and hard. Obama is doing the political equivalent of sleeping with a bridesmaid at his wedding. Senator Obama is TRYING TO RALLY JEWISH SUPPORT FOR HIS CAMPAIGN If Senator Barack Obama can show such disdain for Israel, by supporting the division of Jerusalem and using Chuck Hagel as a Middle East adviser when he is trying to get Jewish support, just imagine how bad he will be if he gets elected.