According to a report by CNN Lockerbie bomber Abdel Basset al-Megrahi is comatose and near death and under the care of his family in a palatial villa in Tripoli, living on oxygen and an intravenous drip.
Al-Magrahi is responsible for the worst terrorist attack in Britain’s history, the deadliest assault on U.S. civilians until 9/11.
On Dec. 21, 1988, a bomb exploded in the forward cargo hold of Pan Am Flight 103, a jetliner flying from London to New York. Within less than a minute, the Boeing 747 splintered into thousands of pieces and fell 31,000 feet, smashing down in the village of Lockerbie, Scotland. The impact killed 11 villagers and destroyed 21 homes. None of the 259 people on board the aircraft survived.
On August 21, 2009 Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi, the only man convicted of the terrorist attack, was released from the Prison where he had been serving a life sentence. Because he supposedly had less than three months to live, he had been sent home to Libya to die. Under pressure from Great Britain, Scottish courts were forced to show more mercy to al-Megrahi than he showed to the 270 people he killed
Now the cancer-stricken former Libyan intelligence officer who lived two years rather than three months may take the secrets of the terrorist operation to his grave.
“We just give him oxygen. Nobody gives us any advice,” his son, Khaled Elmegarhi, told CNN.
With the recent overthrow of longtime Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, politicians on both sides of the Atlantic have called for al-Megrahi to be sent back to prison.
But the National Transitional Council, the rebel movement that toppled Gadhafi, announced Sunday that it won’t allow the dying al-Megrahi to be extradited.
“We will not give any Libyan citizen to the West,” NTC Justice Minister Mohammed al-Alagi said.
Al-Megrahi lived far longer than expected. He made a public appearance with now-fugitive Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi in July, confined to a wheelchair. He always maintained his innocence.
With the fall of Tripoli to the rebels, his care has been left up to his son and his mother.
“There is no doctor. There is nobody to ask. We don’t have any phone line to call anybody,” Elmegarhi said.
If this report is true and not just a cynical ruse designed to take the pressure off this mass murderer, then soon Al-Megrahi may have to answer to the people he killed, and his maker. Only then will the full truth be worked out.
If you cannot see video below click here