In recent weeks the Obama administration has blamed President Bush and/or the intelligence community for the creation of ISIS, others have blamed President Obama and his reluctance to get involved in another Middle East conflict, but apparently both positions are wrong. According to a recent article in the Huffington Post, the reason why ISIS was able to form and grow so fast was global warming (note: do not check your calendar it’s September not April fools day they really believe this).
The authors of the piece; Charles B. Strozier Professor of History, The City University of New York; and Kelly A. Berkell Attorney and research associate, Center on Terrorism at John Jay College of Criminal Justice believe that ISIS formed because of a severe drought in Syria from 2006-2010 and that drought happened because of—you guessed it—Climate Change.
While ISIS threatens brutal violence against all who dissent from its harsh ideology, climate change menaces communities (less maliciously) with increasingly extreme weather.
The drought that preceded the current conflict in Syria fits into a pattern of increased dryness in the Mediterranean and Middle East, for which scientists hold climate change partly responsible. Affecting 60 percent of Syria’s land, drought ravaged the country’s northeastern breadbasket region; devastated the livelihoods of 800,000 farmers and herders; and knocked two to three million people into extreme poverty. Many became climate refugees, abandoning their homes and migrating to already overcrowded cities. They forged temporary settlements on the outskirts of areas like Aleppo, Damascus, Hama and Homs. Some of the displaced settled in Daraa, where protests in early 2011 fanned out and eventually ignited a full-fledged war.
Although I am not a climate scientist (actually neither are the authors) it is easy to strike down their theory, both from a political and a scientific point of view:
- ISIS did not form in Syria it formed in Iraq. In fact one of the reasons each party has been able to blame the other for the rise of the terrorist group is that ISIS used to be al Qaeda in Iraq. They were thrown out of the Bin Laden group because the ISIS leaders did not play nice with the al Qaeda leaders.
- Perhaps the single most important factor in ISIS’ recent resurgence is the conflict between Iraqi Shias and Iraqi Sunnis. ISIS fighters themselves are Sunnis, and the tension between the two groups is a powerful recruiting tool for ISIS. The Shia government of Iraq refused to share power with the Sunnis (who held power under Saddam Hussein). The Shia/Sunni fight began as a fight over who got to take power after the Prophet Muhammad’s death and has been going on for almost 1400 years–way before ISIS.
- Most observers believe ISIS was able to grow because American troops pulled out of Iraq too early and didn’t help out in Syria until it was too late. Unless the drought happened in Washington DC, it couldn’t have had any influence on the President’s decision.
- Droughts? science that states there has been no increase in droughts world-wide. In other words if you believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket due to global warming, that climate change is not increasing the number of droughts in in the world.
“It is misleading and just plain incorrect to claim that disasters associated with hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or droughts have increased on climate timescales either in the United States or globally,” Professor Roger Pielke Jr. said in his testimony before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
In May of 2014 Professor Pielke published a graph that shows the intensity of the planet’s droughts from 1982 to 2012. The graph shows that neither droughts nor their intensity have seen a growth trend during that 30-year period.
- It’s not getting warmer. Its incredible that almost every day the global warming hoaxers come up with another example of how the earth is being destroyed due to their hypothesis like the one being explored here. The truth is as of Sept. 1 the Earth hasn’t warmed in the last 17 years and 11 months (new numbers, through October 1will be out in a few days). Another way to look at it is the warming stopped approximately ten years before the drought in Syria…making it difficult for there to be a connection.
It is interesting that the authors contend “ISIS threatens brutal violence against all who dissent from its harsh ideology” which is true, ISIS not only threaten violence but they follow through with their threats. Also true is that the climate change proponents threaten violence. Thankfully they do not follow through with it, but they do attack people who question their unproven hypothesis as science haters and deniers of truth. Perhaps if they examined the facts instead of desperately trying to prove their hypothesis true climate change enthusiasts would realize the holes in their arguments.
Climate change helping to create ISIS is now #49 on the “official list,” of stupid things global warming enthusiasts have blamed on their failed theory:
- The Arab spring
- Incredible shrinking sheep,
- Invasion of jellyfish in the Mediterranean
- Surge in fatal shark attacks
- Boy Scout tornado deaths,
- Severe acne,
- Global conflict,
- Beer tasting different,
- Suicide of farmers in Australia,
- Bigger tuna fish,
- Fish shrinkage
- Longer days,
- Shorter days,
- Collapse of gingerbread houses in Sweden,
- Cow infertility,
- UFO sightings in the UK,
- Rise in insurance premiums,
- Heroin addiction
- Bear attacks in Japan
- Frigid Cold Winters in Great Britain
- Death from heart disease, diabetes, stroke, respiratory disease and even accidents,
- Homicide, suicide
- Water -borne disease outbreaks
- Heavier, wetter snowstorms treacherous for travel and ambulation,
disease, swarms of allergy-inducing, stinging insects, along with
mosquitoes and devastating pine bark beetle infestations and the spread
of forest and crop pests
- 40,000 dead crabs
- Shorter, higher pitched frog mating calls
- Unrest in the Middle East.
- Screwed-up love making,
- The Japanese earthquake-tsunami,
- Horrible rash of tornadoes in southeast United States,
severe allergy seasons, Lyme disease, malaria or dengue fever, trauma,
depression, high blood pressure and heart disease,
- Eye Disorders.
- Increased threat of wars, violence and military action against the UK.
- Migration of possibly rabid Vampire bats from Mexico,
- Extreme weather, disappearing islands and less productive workdays
- Giant Snakes
- Armed robbery, prostitution, and drug abuse in Ghana, will make you go nuts,
- The rise of terrorist group Boko Haram
- Caused the Seychelles snail to go extinct (its alive and well),
- Rock Snot
- Increase anxiety, fear and depression
- Expensive Olives
more red-haired people, women will become pear-shaped, incontinent,
impotent bald guys with extra hair growing from his toes.
- Global Cooling
- The Sinking of The Titanic
- Illegal Immigration