Anybody that has doubts about if the Torah has any relevance to our lives today should read the verses that will be chanted in Shul this coming Shabbos (Deuteronomy 11:26 – 16:17). It says:
When the Lord your God has cut down before you the nations that you are about to enter and dispossess, and you have dispossessed them and settled in their land, beware of being lured into their ways after they have been wiped out before you! Do not inquire about their gods, saying, “How did those nations worship their gods? I too will follow those practices.” You shall not act thus toward the Lord your God, for they perform for their gods every abhorrent act that the Lord detests; they even offer up their sons and daughters in fire to their gods.
Over the last month we have seen numerous stories about the Islamic fascists of Hezbollah using kids as human shields in the name of Islam, “offering up their sons and daughters in fire to their gods.” The aborted Islamic terrorist plot stopped in Great Britain included a young mother using her six-month-old child’s baby bottle, as a vehicle to smuggle onto a plane bomb components. She was going to put the pieces together in mid air and then blow the plane and her little baby into little pieces.
The Torah is very clear on how we should deal with the people who want to sacrifice their children:
Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?
If you hear it said, of one of the towns that the Lord your God is giving you to dwell in, that some scoundrels from among you have gone and subverted the inhabitants of their town, saying, “Come let us worship other gods” — whom you have not experienced — you shall investigate and inquire and interrogate thoroughly. If it is true, the fact is established — that abhorrent thing was perpetrated in your midst — put the inhabitants of that town to the sword and put its cattle to the sword. Doom it and all that is in it to destruction:
…in other words, get rid of the cancer, no “cut and run”
Yet isn’t it interesting that the same President,who is very religious in his own right, bashes his opponents for wanting to cut and run in Iraq, and has pushed Israel into cutting and running in Lebanon? And its not just the President’s fault, the Prime Minister of Israel lead his country into a war, but he did not have the will to try to win it. Then he agreed to a cease fire that achieve none of the war’s goals:
- It does not get the kidnapped soldiers back
- It does not disarm Hezbollah. Don’t tell me about the Lebanese army has already said they wont do it. The international peacekeeping force? Come on! We are talking about France, not only did they invent the term “cut and run,” but the French government has been supporting terrorism ever since the PLO days. Syria is already rearming the terrorists.
- It does not create a real buffer zone between Israel and Hezbollah. Southern Lebanon is like Chicago in the 1960’s. In those days if you needed to rebuild your house, or any other services, you went to Mayor Daily and the Democratic Party, in return you owed them your loyalty. Hezbollah in Southern Lebanon acts the same way. By not trying to win the war until it was too late to finish the job, Olmert has strengthened Hezbollah.
What does this all mean to Israel and the United States? The probable outcome of last weeks “cease fire” is more death and destruction in Israel and the US.
- Hezbollah will probably become the ruling party in Lebanon, there will no longer be a “government within a government” they WILL be the government.
- The Islamic fascist cause has been emboldened; terrorism as a legitimize form of political expression has gained further credibility— this will lead to more terrorists attacks across the world.
- In Israel Olmert has lost credibility. For those of you who supported the “disengagement” —put a fork in it, it’s done! Even if Olmert stays in power (which I doubt) he will no longer have the politcal power to execute such a controversial plan.
- Israel is seen has having a weak will throughout the Islamic world. The terrorists prey on the weak. There will be more war, more Israeli deaths. The difference is that the worldwide support that Israel gained through the Gaza withdrawal will be gone because the planned withdrawal from the West Bank will never happen. Israel will once again become a pariah nation at war.
This weeks Torah portion says we should eliminate those who put their sons and daughter through the fire. Sadly, by not doing that, by cutting and running in Lebanon, the United States and Israel might have placed more of our children in danger of going through the fire.