“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity,” Paul Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton said. “To be sure, Mr. Trump’s participation will contribute to an unwanted circus-like atmosphere.”
Well that and the fact that Trump didn’t have many conservative positions and his multiple bankruptcies did say much for his ability to manage the economy. Also remember some of these Trump positions:
- “We must have universal healthcare”: We must have universal healthcare. Our objective [should be] to make reforms for the moment and, longer term, to find an equivalent of the single-payer plan that is affordable, well-administered, and provides freedom of choice. (Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.206-208 & 218)
- Donald Trump favors a massive tax hike on Americans that would kill jobs and investment: I would impose a one-time, 14.25% tax on individuals and trusts with a net worth over $10 million. For individuals, net worth would be calculated minus the value of their principal residence. That would raise $5.7 trillion in new revenue, which we would use to pay off the entire national debt [and shore up the Social Security Trust Fund]. (Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.170-74)
- Trump wants a 25% tax on all Chinese imports: “Twenty-five percent tax on China, unless they behave,” he told O’Reilly. “You’re threatening China with a trade bill. Twenty-five percent tariff. That’s big,” O’Reilly retorted. “No, they’re threatening us. They’re going to make a three hundred billion dollar, let’s call it profit, this year on the United States.” (Source: Fox News, 4/1/11, http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/04/01/trump-tax-china-25-0#ixzz1JKlujJYV)
- Trump: “I’d love to have a trade war with China. If we did no business with China frankly we’d save a lot of money.”: In a Fox News interview, Trump said “I’m a big free trade believer by the way.” A few minutes later he said “I’d love to have a trade war with China. If we did no business with China frankly we’d save a lot of money.” (Source: http://www.therightscoop.com/donald-trump-id-love-a-trade-war-with-china/)
- In 1999, Trump opposed NAFTA: “KING: You shared Mr. Perot and Mr. Buchanan and Mr. Nader’s belief with regard to NAFTA, right? You were an opponent of NAFTA? TRUMP: I am. And the reason NAFTA looks OK now is because the economy is strong, but when the economy is not strong, which, unfortunately, will at some point happen, NAFTA is going to look like a disaster.” (Source: http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/10/08/trump.transcript/)
Trump is a joke, his candidacy was a joke and his participation as a moderator in this debate make Newsmax a joke. What makes this even more ridiculous is that the Trumpster is still threatening to run as a third party candidate. Congrats to Ron Paul for making the right decision, even if it was for the wrong reason, and shame on Newsmax, this campaign is much too important to turn it into a circus.