Now we know why the President of the United States is such a good friend of Harvard Professor Dr. Henry Louis Gates, the professor (scheduled for a White House beer-fest on Thursday, runs a charity that, until it was caught, mis-reported salaries as research grants. Heck with problems like this he could be a Presidential appointee.
Inkwell Foundation, a charity headed by star Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. is filing an amended 2007 report to the Internal Revenue Service because $11,000 it paid to foundation officers as compensation was mischaracterized as being for research grants.
Questions about Inkwell Foundation emerged over the weekend, part of a tsunami of attention Gates has received since July 16, when he was arrested at his home by a police officer responding to a report about a possible burglary in progress. The incident ignited a national debate over racial profiling, further magnified when President Obama jumped into it.
ProPublica inquired about Inkwell after receiving an e-mail from Joseph Culligan, a private investigator who makes public on his Web site documents about prominent people, from Ann Coulter to Sonia Sotomayor. The e-mail spotlighted a $10,000 grant made to Joanne Kendall, the foundation’s treasurer, pointing out that she is also Gates’ assistant at Harvard.take our poll - story continues below
Gates, a member of ProPublica’s board of directors, said Monday that the award to Kendall was actually payment for doing administrative work for Inkwell and not, as Inkwell’s IRS 990 form states, a research grant.
“It should have been listed as compensation,” he said in a telephone interview. In part, he added, the payment was designed to make sure she wasn’t doing foundation work on Harvard’s dime.
Gates also said $1,000 paid to foundation secretary Abby Wolf was for secretarial work, not research…
….Aside from Kendall and Wolf, others with close ties to the charity or to Gates also have received funds from Inkwell.
Gates volunteered that the foundation’s second-largest grant, for $6,000, went to his fiancée, Angela DeLeon, who was also on Inkwell’s board from 2005 to 2006. Gates said he recused himself from the vote on DeLeon’s grant, which was for a project translating documents from Spanish and Dutch about the slave trade to Mexico.
A grant of $500 also went to Evelyn Higginbotham, chairwoman of Inkwell’s board. Higginbotham is the chairwoman of Harvard’s Department of African and African-American studies and, with Gates, edited the 2004 book “African American Lives.” Gates said that, as per the foundation’s bylaws, she did not vote on the grant.
Gates is just another example of the culture of corruption surrounding this President,and the democratic party.. Not one person in the mainstream media is connecting the dots and proving that the party of change is actually the party of ethics problems, so let me give it a shot:
- The Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee (Chris Dodd) took “funky” loans from one of the banks his committee is supposedly regulation. The Chairman of the House Banking Committee (Barney Frank) refused regulation on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac until it was much too late. This may or may not have to do with the fact that his former lover (and still close friend) was a high ranking executive at Fannie. Congressman Charlie Rangel is the head of the House Ways and Means Committee (they write tax law) had a problem paying taxes.
- Tim Geithner, who was picked to be Treasury Secretary (and new boss of the IRS) “forgot” to pay $34,000 in taxes.
- Former Senator and “non lobbyist-lobbyist” Tom Daschle was designated to run the Department of Health and Human Services got a private car and driver and didn’t know he was supposed to pay $100,000 dollars in taxes on it
- Nancy Killefer chosen by President Obama to be the first Chief Performance Officer of the United States withdrew her name from consideration because she too has a history of not paying taxes.
- Health and Human Services Nominee Kathleen Sebelius announced that she had to amend her tax returns, based on information brought out in the vetting process.
The truth of it all is if these people were Republicans,the press would be saying the party was wracked with scandal. But this is the Democratic Party, the most favored party of the media, so that will never happen.
Here is a look at the “Gates Controversy from Members of the Cambridge Police Force:
Embedded video from &amp;lt;a href=”http://www.cnn.com/video”&amp;gt;CNN Video&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt;