Here’s something you wont read about on MSNBC or most of the mainstream media. Fox News has confirmed with US intelligence sources that the Administration knew within 24 hours that the attack on the the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi Libya was a terrorist attack, and al Qaeda was probably behind the attack. Yet it took people in the administration a week to acknowledge it (and the President still hasn’t acknowledged it). Also confirmed is the fact that over two weeks after the attack the FBI is still not on the scene investigating.
If this report is correct it means that the administration has been dishonest with the American people (again).
Two senior U.S. officials said the Obama administration internally labeled the attack terrorism from the first day in order to unlock and mobilize certain resources to respond, and that officials were looking for one specific suspect.
The account that officials initially classified the attack as terrorism is sure to raise serious questions among lawmakers who have challenged the narrative the administration put out in the week following the strike. A few Republican lawmakers have gone so far as to suggest the administration withheld key facts about the assault for political reasons.
“I think we should have answers right away. … I think they’re reluctant to tell us what this event really was probably because it’s an election year. But the American people deserve to know answers about what happened at our embassy in Libya,” Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., told Fox News.
One intelligence official clarified to Fox News that there was not a “definitive” lead on who might have been responsible for the Libya attacks in the immediate aftermath, though officials had an idea of the suspects.
“It’s inaccurate to suggest that within the first 24 hours there was a definitive calling card and home address for the perpetrators of the Benghazi attack. Potential suspects and data points emerge early on, but it still takes time to be certain who is responsible,” the official said.
Curiously, Obama referred to “acts of terror” in his first public remarks about the attack. But from there, administration officials went on to blame the anti-Islam film. Rice was the most explicit in that explanation, insisting on a slew of Sunday shows that the attack was not pre-planned and was tied to the film.
There is a rule in politics that it isn’t the mistake that will “get you” its the cover up that does it every time. Well, in this case it will be hard to predict because the Obama-supporting media will ignore the story till after the election.