Last night was the first night of Hannukah, the holiday with as many meanings as it has spellings. Why do we celebrate ? Pick one or pick all:
- A successful Jewish revolt against a Syrian empire ruled by the Seleucid dynasty of Greek kings some 2,200 years ago.
- A revolt against the attempt to impose Hellenistic culture on ancient Judaea.
- A Celebration of the re-dedication of the Holy Temple
- Recognition of a Miracle where one day’s worth of oil burnt in the menorah for eight days.
- A Civil War against those who have decided to rule Israel without remembering that God was involved in every aspect of our lives including governance
It is this last point that relates so much to today’s world. Israel is lead by leaders who have no faith in the God who gave them the land. They allow the Temple mount which used the be the “home” of God’s Shekinah (and hopefully will be again soon) to be mutilated, in fact they are willing to give it away. They do not protect Josephs tomb or Rachel’s, they have fallen in love with the Western Culture and have forgotten how easily Judaism fits into it.
Olmert is working hard to please his Hellenist Kings, Bush and Rice— instead of remembering what happened at Modin he looks toward Medina. Instead of proudly standing up for God, he sneaks into a side entrance to meet with people who want no part of him, forgetting what others have learned before him:
It is incredible what political simpletons Jews are. They shut their eyes to one of the most elementary rules of life, that you must not “meet halfway” those who do not want to meet you.
–Ze’ev Jabotinsky, The Iron Wall November 4, 1923
And once again Just like all of the other times Israel has been dumped for political expediency, first in Annapolis, now with Iran’s nukes, once again proving the haters wrong about the “Jewish Lobby” but also proving Judah Maccabee right. When push comes to shove, those who believe in God must stand up and fight. After all Maccabee stands for “Who is like you o Lord?
As we begin this Chanukah holiday, we must redouble our efforts to rally for the cause of right…and we must Pray to God that he sends us a Maccabee instead of the Olmert we have now.
Not By Might Not By Power, But By My Spirit Alone—it doesn’t mean don’t fight…it means don’t fight without God in your heart.