Shabbos in Israel:
A salvo of more than 50 Kassam rockets was launched today from Gaza at Israeli cities and towns in southern Israel, injuring 22 residents of Sderot and Ashkelon and causing severe damage to property. The injured were transported to Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon for treatment, which was itself the target of a rocket strike earlier in the week. Over 90 rockets have been launched at southern Israel since Thursday.”
This evening, the IAF struck a truck transporting terrorists and 160 rockets intended to be launched at Israel. This afternoon, IDF forces attacked a number of terror operatives approaching the forces. In addition, the IDF attacked operatives armed with anti-tank missiles in proximity to the forces. The forces confirmed direct hits in both incidents. This morning, IDF forces attacked two armed terror cells. The forces also attacked a number of long range rocket launchers. The IAF also targeted two weapons manufacturing facilities that were to be used by terror organizations in the central and northern Gaza Strip.IDF News Release.
Israel did what it had to—but how did all of those Moderate Arabs react?
PA Suspends Negotiations Over Gaza Operation
Hana Levi Julian(IsraelNN.com) Palestinian Authority chief negotiator Ahmed Qureia suspended talks with Israel Saturday over stepped-up IDF operations which killed some 60 terrorists and wounded at least 60 others in Gaza, most of them members of Hamas.Senior PA negotiator Saeb Erekat told the AFP news agency “The negotiations are buried under the houses that were destroyed in Gaza. The peace process has been destroyed because of the aggressions and the crimes that have been committed.”Qureia officially notified Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni of the decision Saturday evening. She replied, “Even if the Palestinians suspend talks, it won’t influence in any way the decisions or operations Israel carries out to defend its citizens. From the beginning, this was the basis of talks with the moderate elements in the Palestinian Authority.”The attacks on Gaza terrorists came after days of warnings by government officials there would be a “harsh response” if they did not cease attacking Israel with rockets, averaging two attacks per hour since last Wednesday. Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Saturday that Israel held Hamas responsible for the civilian casualties and would continue its operations to end the terror attacks on Israeli citizens.”We are not happy about civilians being hurt in Gaza,” said Barak in a statement. “Hamas and those who fire rockets at Israel are responsible and they will pay the price.”Six people were wounded in missile attacks on the coastal city of Ashkelon Saturday, including two children, and many others suffered shock. There were a number of other attacks on Sderot as well, lightly wounding at least one person and sending others into shock. A total of 49 people were taken to Barzilai Medical Center in the city.Ronnie Yechiya, a husband and father of four who was a student at Sapir College adjacent to Sderot, was killed this past week in a rocket attack on the city, and a number of Jewish children have been seriously wounded recently by the missiles fired from northern Gaza. One young boy lost his leg when a rocket exploded three feet away from him as he frantically sought shelter,PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas Saturday evening appealed to the United Nations to force Israel to end its attacks. “[Abbas] has asked for an urgent session of the Security Council,” said PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rdainah in a statement. Denouncing the attacks as “more than a Holocaust,” Abbas called for “international protection for the Palestinian people,” claiming that IDF attacks were aimed at “innocent women, children and old people.” Abbas’s doctoral thesis in 1983 dealt with denying the extent of the Holocaust.
Hamas, which continues to rule Gaza after wresting control over the region from Fatah-controlled PA government in a military coup last June, declared three days of mourning for the Gaza dead. The terrorist organization also said it would cancel classes in its schools on Sunday.
The official Jordanian news agency Petra quoted King Abdullah II as saying in a phone conversation with Abbas that the IDF operations were “a violation of all international conventions.” He termed the IDF counterterrorist operations “a massacre.”The Egyptian Foreign also criticized the attacks on Gaza terrorists. “It is regretful that Israel carries out these operations without calculating the consequences on the adopted peace efforts,” read the statement.
Dang—with friends with these…