Please disable your Ad Blocker in order to interact with the site.

Last year’s war against Hezbollah in Lebanon was, at best, not very successful in achieving its goals. At worst was a complete failure. The kidnapped soldiers were not saved, Hezbollah was not defeated, even today they are once again on the northern boarder of Israel. In fact the only thing coming out of this past summer’s war was that the Arabs are no longer fearful of the military strength.

Tomorrow there will be a memorial service for the almost 12o soldiers whose lives were lost in fighting the second Lebanon war. Neither Olmert or Peretz the men responsible for mis-handling this war will be at the memorial. Oh they each have excuses—-and that is is what they are EXCUSES. Shame on you Olmert ! You sent these heros to their deaths, you belong at their memorial.

One of Abe Lincoln’s most famous speeches was written on the back of an envelope on the way to dedicate a memorial in Gettysburg. But Lincoln was a great man and leader. Olmert is neither.

Olmert, Peretz won’t attend Lebanon War memorial Prime minister, former defense minister and eight cabinet ministers to be absent from first ceremony in memory of Second Lebanon War victims Monday. PM’s office: Security arrangements made Olmert’s arrival impossible Ronny Sofer Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and eight other ministers will be absent from a state ceremony commemorating the victims of the Second Lebanon War, set to be held in Mount Herzl Monday. Former Defense Minister Amir Peretz is also not scheduled to attend the memorial, and the government will be represented by the current defense minister, Ehud Barak. The Second Lebanon War claimed the lives of 155 Israelis, 119 of them soldiers. According to a spokesman at the Prime Minister’s Office, Olmert is unable to attend the ceremony due to security concerns: “According to custom, the prime minister attends the annual Memorial Day state ceremony and the ceremony for the victims of terror. In other ceremonies, the government is usually represented by one of the prime minister’s deputies. “This is due to the many security arrangements involved in the prime minister’s presence in such events, and following repeated incidents in recent years in which bereaved parents were forced to remain outside the ceremony because of security delays.” The spokesman added that “the prime minister respects the memory of those killed in the Second Lebanon War, and has met a different bereaved family each week over the last year.” Meanwhile, a spokesman for former defense minister Peretz explained that he was not invited to the ceremony since he was no longer a cabinet member. During his tenure as defense minister, Peretz participated in all events concerning the bereaved families and the Second Lebanon War. Peretz made vigorous efforts to promote the commemoration of the casualties of war… he completed all his obligations to the bereaved families…” According to the spokesman, Peretz “cherishes and embraces the bereaved families, and will continue doing his utmost to ease their pain and commemorate the fallen in the most dignified manner.” Tamir: ‘We sent those soldiers into battle’ President elect Shimon Peres also won’t participate in the ceremony, despite having served as Vice Premier during the war. His office said in response that “the President elect has notified the bereaved families he will not be able to attend prior to taking office.” Other ministers who will not attend the service are: Internal Security Minister Avi Dichter (said he was not invited), Communications Minister Ariel Atias (said he was not invited), Justice Minister Daneil Friedmann (reason unclear), Environmental Protection Minister Gideon Ezra (said he was not invited), National Infrastructure Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer (on official State business in Georgia), Minister Yitzhak Cohen (decedents of the Cohen lineage are forbidden from entering cemeteries). Education Minister Yuli Tamir called on her fellow cabinet members to make an effort to attend the ceremony. “We as government ministers are responsible for this war. For better or for worse. We are the ones who sent these soldiers into battle. I may have not received a formal invitation, but I have a responsibility to face these bereaved parents and children. I see this as a test of the solidarity of our values as ministers,” said Tamir. Ministers who will attend the service are: Defense Minister Ehud Barak, Foreign Affairs Minister Tzipi Livni, Industry, Trade, and Labor Minister Eli Yishai, Health Minister Yacov Ben Yizri, Education Minister Yuli Tamir, Immigration Minister Ze’ev Boim, Tourism Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch, Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz, Agriculture Minister Shalom Simhon and Minister Jacob Edery. Former Minister Eitan Cabel, who resigned following the findings of the Winograd partial report regarding the failings of the government during the war, said he would be in attendance. Three ministers who preferred not to answer were Science, Culture and Sport Minister Raleb Majadele, Strategic Affairs Minister Avigdor Lieberman and Pensioner’s Affairs Minister Rafi Eitan.

Become a Lid Insider

Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.

Send this to friend