According to Amir “not me” Peretz it wasn’t his fault that there was no rocket defense installed, it was the fault of his predecessors. Gee he has been defense minister for over a year, there have been rockets fired into Israel at least that long. Yesterday the cabinet agreed to his allocation of funds for a rocket defense. Now what was AMIR doing for the past year?
Jpost staff and Yaakov Katz, THE JERUSALEM POST Feb. 5, 2007
Defense Minister Amir Peretz said on Monday that the plan to install an anti-rocket system in the South would provide a wider range of security, and criticized his predecessors for not installing the system earlier. “This [anti-rocket] system has great significance,” Peretz said during a tree planting ceremony in Sderot. “It is too bad that the investment wasn’t made in previous years. It’s too bad that they stalled. The system could have been ready and prepared, and it could’ve have provided definite results.” In addition to his comments on the anti-rocket system, Peretz denied reports that plans have been drawn up for evacuating Sderot in the case of an emergency. On Sunday, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert gave the final approval for the Iron Dome anti-Kassam system under development by Rafael – Israel’s Armament Development Authority – and selected last week by Defense Minister Amir Peretz. Olmert and Peretz met after Sunday’s cabinet meeting with defense officials involved in the selection process and concluded that the government would create a special budget for the project, estimated at $300 million. Once the money is allocated, officials said the system could be operational and deployed outside the Gaza Strip within two and a half years.