In the movie Back To The Future Part 2, Marty McFly and Doc Brown travel to the future to help McFly’s kids. They arrive in the future on October 21, 2015 which makes today, Back To The Future Day.
Like Star Wars and Indiana Jones the second installment of the Back to the Future trilogy was the worst. But what the movie is famous for are the predictions of what October 21, 2015 will look like. Some came true, others not so much. But overall the movie had a pretty good record for its predictions made in 1989, and looking 26 years into the future.
Below are my favorite 13 predictions from Back to The Future Part 2:
- Prediction #1: Home Energy Reactors- Mr. Fusion turned garbage into energy. This one hasn’t happened yet.
- Prediction #2: The Chicago Cubs win the World Series. I hope not but maybe. At this point the Cubs are playing the NY Mets for the NL Championship. The Mets have won the first three games of this round but as Yogi Berra said, “it ain’t over till it’s over.” But it also predicts that there will be a MLB franchise in Miami, that one is 100% true.
- Prediction #3: Flying Cars- Not yet but they would be cool.”
- Prediction #4: Sneakers With Power Laces-sort of true. Nike made a special replica of the shoe in 2011 and auctioned off 1,500 them off. They didn’t really work the same way.
- Prediction #5: Kids Will Wear Their Pants Inside Out Doc instructs Marty to turn his jeans pockets inside out because “All kids in the future wear their pants inside-out.” And there was a period where wore their pants backwards (seat in front). Inspired by the rap duo Kris Kross.
- Prediction #6: Cholesterol Will Be Found to Cure Cancer. One of the big stories in the issue of USA Today where he reads about his son being in Jail matches this real story from 2012.
- Prediction #7 -Jaws 19, the local move theater in the future was showing Jaws 19, thankfully not happening, but Universal did create a trailer for it.
- Prediction #8: Hoverboards –getting close, hands -free scooters like were all over NY ComiCon two weeks ago, but they use wheels instead of gliding on air.
- Prediction #9: Thumbprints Will Become the Future’s Primary Means of Identification, Payment, and Door Locks-Another “almost.” Today you can unlock your iPhone and some computers with a fingerprints.
Prediction #10 : Multichannel Flatscreen Televisions. This one is true, considering PIP and multiple channel functions on the latest flatscreens.Prediction #11: In-Home Pizza Hydrators. Not yet but I wish.Prediction #12: Video/Phone Glasses–True..its called Google Glass.Prediction #13: Video Phone Calls on Your TV—True most new TVs come equipped with Internet access, and work with video chatting services like Skype.
As for what happens next, this is one fan’s trailer for Back to the Future Part IV: