I present this to you with the same caveat that I gave the last time. This IS from the National Enquirer. But on the other hand they caught Gary Hart, they were right about the Clinton Scandals, and their cameraman caught Edwards RED HANDED coming out of the Hotel where they were guests and Edwards wasn’t.
In the aftermath of the initial revelation on Tuesday there are some expected reactions EVERYONE IS MAD AT EVERYONE ELSE! Edwards’ political handlers are angry at Edwards, the National Enquirer Reporters want the Hotel Guards arrested, LA Times Bloggers are pissed that they have been banned from covering the story, it’s a giant mess, and Fox interviewed the hotel guards who confirm the “Bathroom Refuge” part of the story, Its all a huge mess:
- Edwards’ advisers are “spitting mad and furious” that his late-night escapades have made international headlines because it could derail his chances of becoming Barack Obama‘s running mate.
- Edwards has not explained his whereabouts to any members of other news media outlets who have been trying to follow up on the story.
- His mistress, blonde divorcee Rielle, meanwhile, has returned to her home in Santa Barbara, Calif., and sources say she is “in despair” that Edwards might cut off contact with her because their latest rendezvous has been exposed in the media.
- After we posted the details of Edwards shocking meeting with Rielle, political sources close to Edwards revealed how he was candidly scolded by his advisors hours later.One political source divulged: “His advisors told him they were furious that this had been brought out by the NATIONAL ENQUIRER right when Obama is considering whether he’s V.P. material with the Democratic National Convention (Aug. 25-28 in Denver) only weeks away.
- “From what I hear, John was read the riot act by his people. The fallout from this could cost him the job of running mate. They told him Obama doesn’t want to pick someone and be embarrassed by the choice. This ‘bimbo eruption’ at this critical time will do him absolutely no good. While his people are not trying to tell him how to live his personal life, this baggage isn’t going to help him convince Obama that he’s the right guy to be his veep.
Fox is Reporting that the Hotel Guards are Confirming that they were with an Ashen-faced Edwards in the Hotel Mens room:
A hotel security guard told FOXNews.com he intervened this week between a man he identified as former Sen. John Edwards and tabloid reporters who chased down the former presidential hopeful after what they’re calling a rendezvous with his mistress and love child.
The Beverly Hilton Hotel guard said he encountered a shaken and ashen-faced Edwards — whom he did not immediately recognize — in a hotel men’s room early Tuesday morning in a literal tug-of-war with reporters on the other side of the door. “What are they saying about me?” the guard said Edwards asked. “His face just went totally white,” the guard said, when Edwards was told the reporters were shouting out questions about Edwards and Rielle Hunter, a woman the National Enquirer says is the mother of his child. The guard said he escorted Edwards, who was not a registered guest at the hotel, out of the building after 2 a.m. Edwards did not say anything while he was escorted out, said the guard, adding that at times the reporters on the scene were “rough on him,” sticking a camera in his face and shouting questions. The guard did not recognize Edwards at the time of the incident, but said he concluded it was the 2008 presidential hopeful after hearing reports about the incident and finding an Enquirer reporter’s notebook at the sceneThe guard said during the chase the reporters had dropped the notebook, which he picked up. “This book has everything in it on him,” he said, referring to Edwards. The guard later confirmed Edwards’ identity after being shown a photograph. A former campaign staffer, speaking on condition of anonymity, told FOXNews.com he wishes he were “more surprised” to hear reports Edwards was visiting Hunter. “I’m definitely upset by it. I wish I was more surprised, though.”
Slate is reporting a little discontent at the LA Times Blogs
LAT Gags Blogs: In a move that has apparently stirred up some internal discontent, the Los Angeles Times has banned its bloggers , including political bloggers, from mentioning the Edwards/Rielle Hunter story. Even bloggers who want to mention the story in order to make a skeptical we-don’t-trust-the-Enquirer point are forbidden from doing so. Kausfiles has obtained a copy of the email Times bloggers received from editor Tony Pierce. [I’ve excised the recipient list and omitted Pierce’s email address]:
From: “Pierce, Tony” Date: July 24, 2008 10:54:41 AM PDT To: [XXX] Subject: john edwards Hey bloggers, There has been a little buzz surrounding John Edwards and his alleged affair. Because the only source has been the National Enquirer we have decided not to cover the rumors or salacious speculations. So I am asking you all not to blog about this topic until further notified. If you have any questions or are ever in need of story ideas that would best fit your blog, please don’t hesitate to askKeep rockin, Tony
On top of all of the above, NATIONAL ENQUIRER reporters Alan Butterfield and Alexander Hitchen filed a criminal complaint with the Beverly Hills Police Department on Thursday, July 24, charging that hotel security acted unlawfully while the reporters were trying to question the former senator.
Edwards now could be contacted by police to give an eyewitness account of what occurred.
Hotel security tried to stop the reporters from questioning Edwards in the basement of the hotel at approximately 2:40 a.m. Tuesday, July 22 after Edwards came off an elevator and appeared to be attempting to leave the hotel unseen.
His secret mistress Rielle Hunter and her baby were upstairs, and Edwards had just spent hours with them in a secret rendezvous.
As Butterfield and Hitchen tried to question Edwards, he ran down a hallway and ducked into a men’s public bathroom. The reporters attempted to follow him in and Edwards pushed the door shut from inside.
Hotel security showed up and intervened. The reporters charge that not only did one security guard threaten to break their camera but that security also violated several statutes of the California Penal Code, including false imprisonment and preventing a guest from entering land.
The ENQUIRER reporters were registered guests at the hotel, while Edwards was not.
Police recorded the criminal complaint and will turn it over to detectives.